Research Proposal
The title for my project is called
“The effects of both short term and long term extreme weight fluctuation on the
mood, body, and mentality”. My issue is the stress and damage that constant
weight changes can have on the body, for example an athlete losing a large
amount of weight for a weigh in, then quickly putting it back on, only to
repeat in a week or two, or in more extreme cases, extreme dieting like on
biggest loser where people will lose eighty to over a hundred pounds, only to
put the weight back on within a year. Some women will even do this process
multiple times throughout their lifetime, dieting to lose around sixty to
eighty pounds only to put it back on in a short time, and then repeating over
and over. My purpose for working on this project is I was once a wrestler and I
cut some weight during season, weekly adding five and dropping five, and I know
the effects were unpleasant, now that on a much larger scale like collegiate
wrestlers or MMA fighters or sometimes boxers, where they bulk up and then will
cut thirty pounds in a month to make a weigh in, then bulk and repeat, the
effects I believe are more than unpleasant, I believe they could be detrimental
to the body.
My question is this, what effects do
large weight fluctuations, both short and long term, on the body, and how
detrimental are they? Some key findings I have found have shown that cutting
weight can affect the body both physically and mentally. There have been cases
where wrestlers have cut too much or too often, and have died from dehydration
or heart or liver failure. Also mental disorders can arise from cutting, like
eating disorders, hormonal unbalances, and mood swings. I plan to locate
additional information mostly through interviews and what case studies there
are linked to this. Seeing as most people would neither volunteer to
intentionally cause harm to their body nor would the physiological disorders
arise as often because mentally their motives for cutting weight is different
however, I plan to gather most my information from studies or interviews on
real people who chose on their own to cut their weight. I plan to start
research and collecting data from either the UCF club wrestling team, or the
Lake Howell High School wrestling team, to see beginning weights, how far they
will drop before season starts, how much they plan to lose weekly, and mostly
like a biweekly journal on how their cutting is going or went.
Bibliography
No comments:
Post a Comment